Make sure you can vote in future elections

We're starting our annual canvass this week to update the electoral register.

If you're registered to vote and voted in the elections earlier this year, you need to respond to the household enquiry form to stay on the electoral register so you can vote in the future.

You must respond to the household enquiry form each year by law, and it may affect your credit rating if you are not on the electoral register.

If there are no changes to the voters in your household it's easy to respond online or by text or phone, following the instructions on the form.

If you've recently moved or need to add the names of any 16 or 17-year-olds so they can vote as soon as they reach their 18th birthday, you'll need to complete the household enquiry form and then go online and register to vote on the Your Vote Matters website.

The household enquiry form is not a registration form. Remember, registering for other council services or paying Council Tax does not register you to vote. If your details aren't on the register of electors you won't be able to vote at elections.

For more information, visit our Register to vote page, email or call 01442 228000 and ask for electoral services.