Business rates (non-domestic rates)
Non-domestic rates, or business rates, collected by local authorities are the way that those who occupy non-domestic property contribute towards the cost of local services.
Under the business rates retention arrangements (introduced from 1 April 2013), we keep a proportion of the business rates paid locally. This provides a direct financial incentive for us to work with local businesses to create a favourable local environment for growth, since we'll benefit from growth in business rates revenues.
The money, together with revenue from council tax payers, revenue support grant provided by the Government and certain other sums, is used to pay for the services provided by us.
Further information about the business rates system, including transitional and other reliefs,can be found on the Government website.
Is your business on the move or moving into Dacorum?
Please tell us about any change in your circumstances (such as moving or selling) which might affect your business rates. You can tell us about any changes by:
- phoning the business rates helpline on 01442 228268
- emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- writing to Dacorum Borough Council, Business Rates Section, The Forum, Hemel Hempstead, HP1 1DN.
Our standards of service
As our customers, you deserve to receive the highest quality of service from us. We aim to provide the following standards of service:
- Phone calls to be answered within three rings
- Personal callers to the office to wait no longer than five minutes
- To respond to our ratepayers who are having trouble in meeting payment in an understanding manner.
Business Rates Telephone Helpline: 01442 228268