Council Tax discounts, reductions and exemptions


Council Tax reasons for exemption
You may not have to pay Council Tax if your home is:    
Occupied only by students

Occupied only by severely mentally impaired persons
Occupied only by diplomats 
Occupied only by people under 18 years of age An annexe or similar self-contained part of a property that is separately banded and is occupied by a relative over 65 years of age, or a disabled relative
Used as visiting defence forces accommodation 


The full Council Tax bill assumes there are two adults living in each property. If only one adult lives in a property (as their main home), the Council Tax bill will be reduced by a quarter (25%).

Council Tax reasons for discount
People in the following groups do not count towards the number of adults living in a property:     
People in prison (unless in prison for non-payment of Council Tax)

18 or 19-year olds who are at or have just left school  Care workers working for low pay, usually for charities 
People caring for someone living with them, with a disability, who is not a spouse, partner, or child under 18

Members of visiting forces and certain international institutions Members of religious communities (monks or nuns) 
Full time students, student nurses, apprentices and those on youth training schemes

Patients resident in hospital  People being looked after in care homes
People who are severely mentally impaired

People staying in certain hostels or night shelters  

If you think your bill should be reduced, please contact us using the details below.

Please note: If your bill shows that you are getting a reduction you must tell us straight away if anything changes which may affect how much you have to pay. If you fail to do so you may have to pay a penalty. The information on this page is a guide, not a full statement of the law.

Reductions for people with disabilities

You may be entitled to reduced Council Tax if you, or someone living with you, needs a room, or an extra bathroom or kitchen, or needs to use a wheelchair indoors to meet special needs arising from a disability.

The bill may be reduced to that of a property in the band immediately below the normal valuation band for your property (or a reduction of one sixth of the Council Tax for Band A properties). These reductions ensure that disabled people do not pay more tax on account of space needed because of their disability.

If you think you may qualify for disability relief or would like more details, please contact us (see below).

Contact us

01442 228000
Dacorum Borough Council
Council Tax Section
The Forum
Hemel Hempstead