Mutual exchange

Swapping your home with another tenant is known as a "mutual exchange". As one of our tenants, you can swap your home with another tenant in Dacorum or with a tenant in another area of the United Kingdom.

It's important to remember that if you move to a different home using the mutual exchange process, you agree to accept the new property in its current condition.

Advertise and search for a home

You can advertise your council home and search for another tenant to exchange your home with on the:

House Exchange website

Many social landlords across England use this system and it gives you access to thousands of properties across the country. House Exchange is a database of information given by tenants that want to move.

Bedroom standards

If you have two or more children living at home, please read our  Bedroom standards information (PDF 508KB).

Apply for an exchange

To apply for a mutual exchange, please download and complete our  Mutual Exchange application form (PDF 580KB) and either email to or return by post to Dacorum Borough Council, The Forum, Marlowes, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP1 1DN.