Home contents insurance scheme

We insure our dwellings. In the case of a fire that destroys a council property, we would claim on our insurance for the cost of repairing the property.

We do not insure your possessions whilst they are in your home and we strongly advise that you take out your own insurance.

Several tenants each year lose most or all of their possessions in a fire or as a result of burst pipes. For those without contents insurance, the loss can be devastating and very expensive.

You should insure the full value of replacing your possessions if they are damaged or destroyed by fire, flood or accident; or if they are lost as a consequence of burglary.

Our home contents insurance scheme

We offer a home contents insurance scheme (with Aviva), designed specifically for council tenants. Our scheme offers a number of benefits.

  • Premiums can be paid weekly
  • Lower minimum sums insured (£6,000 for people over 60 and £9,000 for others)
  • 'New for old' cover
  • No policy excess to pay on claims
  • Includes freezer contents cover and personal liability insurance, in addition to insurance against fire, theft, accidental damage, vandalism and water damage.

Download our  Home contents insurance prospectus (PDF 321KB) or contact our Insurance Administration Assistant on 01442 228960.

We recommend that you always compare policies and prices from more than one supplier.