Berkhamsted Leisure Centre
A new leisure centre for Berkhamsted
Access to local, high quality leisure facilities is hugely beneficial to the health and wellbeing of our residents.
Over the past 12 months we have been working with a design team to develop proposals to replace the current leisure centre in Berkhamsted with a brand new, modern facility that would better meet the needs of the community.
Sustainability is a key element of the proposal. The new leisure centre would be designed to be adaptable to meet both current and future user requirements, using materials which would maximise energy efficiency and minimise carbon emissions.
It is important to emphasise that this is a proposal at this stage. The decision on whether to proceed with the replacement leisure centre will be dependent upon a number of factors, including the consultation findings, final costings and planning consent.
Public consultation - now closed
The consultation on our proposals for the new leisure centre closed at midnight on 30 March 2022. The results will be carefully considered and will help to inform the next stage of the proposal.
What new facilities would the leisure centre provide?
The new leisure centre could deliver a range of new facilities, many of which are not currently provided at the existing site, including:
- A teaching pool and water confidence area
- Larger fitness suite
- Bigger, and more advanced, group exercise studios
- An outdoor fitness area
- Spa and treatment zone (including a wide range of heat experiences, health and beauty treatments and a dedicated relaxation area)
- Improved catering/café facilities
- Village style changing room, with individual and family cubicles
- Meeting spaces
- A new entrance, providing better access, from Gossoms End (shown on the plan below)
A new 3G football pitch
As part of the proposal, we're looking to provide a new floodlit 3G pitch, which would be larger than the pitches currently provided at the existing leisure centre, to better service the needs of the football community.
We're currently exploring options to provide the 3G pitch on another site. If this is not possible, a new pitch will be provided on the site once demolition of the current leisure centre is complete.
If we're able to find a suitable off-site option for the 3G pitch, we have the potential to use some of the site for residential development, which would provide funding for the cost of the new leisure centre.
Provisional plans for the new leisure centre
View the Provisional plans for new Berkhamsted Leisure Centre (PDF 2MB).
Improvement and enhancement of Lagley/East Meadow
Lagley/East Meadow plays an invaluable role to the local community in providing green space for sports, dog walking and other recreational activities. As part of the proposal for the new leisure centre we're looking to enhance this area. Possible options for improving the appeal and range of activities residents can enjoy on the Meadow include:
- Improved children’s play facilities (early years to 12 years old)
- Improved play facilities for older children
- New outdoor hub, linking the leisure centre café with Lagley/East Meadow
- Walking route around the site (with lighting and benches)
- Cycling skills area
- Improved landscaping and tree planting
- Sensory garden and activity space
Updates will be provided on this page and through our publications and social media channels.