warning signDue to the spring bank holiday, bin collections will be one day later than usual during the week beginning Monday 27 May 2024. Collections will return to normal from Monday 3 June. Check your bin collection day.  ×

Council Tax reductions and exemptions for students 

Who is eligible 

You may be eligible for a reduction or exemption if you are student. You are counted as a student for Council Tax purposes if you are:

  • on a full-time course at a UK college or university, including those in the ERASMUS programme within the European Union
  • under 20 years old and in part-time or full-time education
  • a foreign language assistant registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and working at a school or other educational establishment.

What is a full-time course?

A full-time course is one that:

  • lasts at least one (academic or calendar) year
  • normally requires your attendance for at least 24 weeks in each (academic or calendar) year
  • involves at least 21 hours of study, tuition, work experience (or a combination of these) a week

Who is not eligible

Part-time study, such as evening classes or distance learning, doesn’t make you a student for Council Tax purposes.

Rules on students living with non-students

The rules for Council Tax vary depending on the mix of students and other adults living in a property:

  • Properties occupied only by full-time students: These properties are exempt from Council Tax. All residents must confirm their student status to us.
  • Properties with one full-time student and one other adult: If you are a student living with one non-student, we will reduce your Council Tax bill by 25 per cent.
  • Properties with one or more full-time students and two or more other adults: If you are a student living with two or more non-students, there is no Council Tax reduction. The non-students will be named on the Council Tax bill.

Exempt properties

The following properties are exempt from Council Tax:

  • houses and flats where only full-time students live
  • halls of residence and off-campus properties owned or rented by the university or college for their students
  • properties where a student's foreign spouse or dependent lives, as long as their visa prevents them from working or claiming benefits.

How to apply

You can apply for a reduction or exemption using the link below.

To verify that you are a student, you'll need to upload a student certificate from your university, college, school, or hospital (if you're a student nurse) confirming your enrolment and course details.

Apply for a student discount

Page Last Updated: Wednesday, 27 March 2024 at 11:30 AM