Caravan and camping sites (including mobile home parks)

To run a caravan and camping site within Dacorum, including mobile home parks, you need a licence from us, under the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960. This Act was amended in 2014 by the Mobile Homes Act 2013 which gave us greater powers to intervene and inspect mobile home sites to combat malpractice in this sector.

These Acts lay down 'model standards' that should be included in the licences for the site. These standards specify conditions relating to:

  • the roads
  • speed limits
  • signage within the site
  • the distance between mobile homes
  • boundary fences
  • other structures within the plot area
  • the information that should be provided on the site by the manager and
  • the fire precautions that must be in place within the site


Site inspections

Inspections will happen annually for all licensed sites.


You don't need a site licence for:

  • incidental use within the boundary of a home (for example, a caravan kept on a domestic driveway for private use by the owners)
  • single caravans for not more than two nights and 28 days in 12 months
  • holdings of five acres or more if not more than 28 days in 12 months and maximum three caravans at any time
  • sites occupied and supervised by exempted organisations (for example, the Caravan Club)
  • sites approved by exempted organisations for up to five caravans
  • meetings organised by exempted organisations
  • seasonal agriculture and forestry workers
  • building and engineering sites
  • travelling showmen
  • sites occupied by a local authority
  • gypsy sites occupied by county or regional councils

View a copy of the Act detailing the exemptions in full.


We aim to process applications within two months.

Depending on the status of the site's planning permission, a licence will be granted either permanently or for a fixed period. If the licence is for a fixed period the expiry date will be stated on the licence.

Renewal of licences

It is the applicant's responsibility to apply and ensure that the necessary planning permission is in place before an application for renewal of a licence is submitted.

Appeals and complaints

If you have concerns about how your application is handled, the first point of contact will be the case officer dealing with your application. If you are still not satisfied, you can lodge a complaint with their line manager. If you are dissatisfied with a condition attached to your licence, you have the right of appeal to a residential property tribunal against a decision.

Further information on the law relating to park homes can be found on the Government website.

Dacorum mobile home park site rules