Severe weather advice

There may be disruption to some of our services during and after severe weather.  This is usually because of accessibility and safety. For example, vehicles not being able to get to places or our staff not being able to travel.

We do our best to provide all services as usual. Sometimes the more essential services take priority, causing disruption to other services.  Our priority is always to support our more vulnerable residents.

We thank you for your patience. 

Stay up to date

This website, and our Facebook page and X account will keep you up to date with any disruption to services, such as bin collections.

To help plan ahead, keep up to date with the latest weather forecasts from the Met Office. Look out for weather warnings.

Bin collections

Our Waste Services team will make a decision about sending crews out to collect refuse and recycling early each morning. You can find out more about how we collect your bins during severe weather on our winter weather advice page

Cold weather

Roads and gritting

Gritting is the responsibility of Hertfordshire County Council. Find out more, including which routes will be gritted. You can clear snow and ice from pavements yourself. Learn more on the Government website.

Keeping warm and well

The Government has advice on staying well in cold weather, including financial help, vaccinations and heating. Find out more.

School closures

Each school's headteacher and chair of governors decide whether to close the school in bad weather conditions, such as snow or heatwaves. Find out more on the Hertfordshire County Council website.

Housing repairs

Council tenants can report an emergency repair by calling call 0800 018 6050.

Rough sleeping

The Severe Weather Emergency Protocol comes into force whenever the temperature drops to freezing or below. Find out more on our rough sleepers page.

Frozen pipes

Affinity Water has advice on what to do if you have frozen pipes and how to prevent the problem happening in future.

Hot weather

How to stay safe

Follow the Government advice to ensure you are prepared for hot weather and can take action to cool yourself and your home.

School closures

Each school's headteacher and chair of governors decide whether to close the school in bad weather conditions, such as snow or heatwaves. Find out more on the Hertfordshire County Council website.

Fallen trees

You can report fallen or dangerous trees in public areas online or by calling 01442 228000 (ask for "Trees") during our office opening hours - 9am to 5pm, Monday to Thursday, and 9am to 4.30pm, Fridays.

Outside these hours, please report fallen trees on roads or footpaths via the Hertfordshire County Council website or by calling 0300 123 4047. To report fallen trees in Dacorum Borough Council parks or gardens, or on our housing land, call 01442 228414 (out of hours only).

For privately owned trees, the landowner should contact a competent tree work contractor. Find an approved contractor from the Arboricultural Association website



Visit the Government website for more information on preparing for a flood.

For flood warnings, go to the Environment Agency website.

We do not supply sandbags. You can buy sandbags from local builders merchants and DIY stores.

Report it

Where there is flooding and it is due to:

  • Burst banks of rivers or streams, please report it to the Environment Agency.
  • Burst canal banks, please contact the Canal and River Trust.
  • Blocked road drains and gullies, please report it to Hertfordshire County Council Highways.
  • Blocked drains in the main sewers, please report it to Thames Water.
  • Burst pipes and water mains in council or council leasehold properties, please report it to our Housing Maintenance team on 01442 228000.


If your home has been flooded, Flood Re is a joint Government and insurance initiative aimed at making insurance available and affordable. For more information, visit the Flood Re website.

Power cuts

 Find out how to get help and advice in the event of a power cut.

Practical help and advice 

Contact HertsHelp for advice and practical help if you are struggling to cope. HertsHelp is a network of hundreds of community organisations working together. They can help you to get the practical support, guidance and information you need. Call 0300 123 4044 or email

Assistance for elderly or disabled people

If you are concerned about an elderly or disabled person in your area, please contact Hertfordshire County Council Adult Services on 0300 123 4042.

Further useful information is available from Age UK.

Page Last Updated: Monday, 08 January 2024 at 05:03 PM