Do I qualify for a Council Tax discount, reduction or exemption?

A full Council Tax bill is based on at least two adults living in a home. Spouses and partners who live together are jointly responsible for paying the bill.

Disregarded persons

Some people are not counted ("disregarded") when working out how many people live in a property. This means you might be able to apply for a discount on your Council Tax bill.

You’re disregarded if you’re:

  • Under 18 years of age
  • Full-time students, student nurses, apprentices, and those on youth training schemes
  • People who are severely mentally impaired
  • Those aged 18 or 19 who are currently in or have recently left school
  • Care workers employed by charities and earning low pay
  • Those caring for someone living with them, who has a disability - but is not a spouse, partner, or child under 18
  • Members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
  • Members of religious communities, such as monks or nuns
  • Patients residing in hospitals
  • Those residing in care homes
  • Those staying in specific hostels or night shelters
  • Those in prison (unless incarcerated for non-payment of Council Tax).

Reductions and exemptions

You’ll get 50 per cent off your bill if everyone living in your household is disregarded.

You’ll get 25 per cent off your bill if you pay Council Tax and either:

You might not need to pay any Council Tax if your home fits into one of these categories:

How to apply

You can apply for a single person discount and a student discount online. For all other reductions or exemptions, you will need to call 01442 228000 and ask for 'Council Tax' when prompted. 

Page Last Updated: Thursday, 11 April 2024 at 07:42 AM