Dead and injured animals

Avian influenza (bird flu)

An Avian Influenza Prevention Zone (AIPZ) is in force across Great Britain. By law you must follow strict biosecurity rules to prevent bird flu and stop it spreading.

Avian influenza (bird flu) is a notifiable animal disease. If you suspect any type of bird flu in poultry or captive birds you must report it immediately by calling the Defra Rural Services Helpline on 03000 200 301. Failure to do so is an offence. Find out how to spot bird flu.

If you find dead wild waterfowl (swans, geese or ducks) or other dead wild birds, such as gulls or birds of prey, you should report it to Defra. You must not touch or pick up any dead or visibly sick birds. Find out more about bird flu.

Report a dead animal

If you find a dead animal (domestic or wildlife) on public land, please report it to us using the online form below so that we can safely remove it.

Report a dead animal

Report a vehicle accident with an animal

You must stop and report the accident to the police if you hit any of the following:

  • dogs
  • cats
  • horses
  • cattle
  • pigs
  • goats
  • sheep
  • donkeys and mules

You must do this as soon as possible, whether the animal is dead or not.

Report pesticide poisonings

Call the Wildlife Incident Investigation Scheme on 0800 321 600 if you think an animal has been poisoned by pesticides.

How we deal with dead animals

The responsibility for the removal of dead animals in public areas (typically roadkill) lies with us. Once it has been reported we will aim to remove the animal that same working day, except on weekends. The animal will then be temporarily stored at our depot.

We will scan dead pets, such as cats and dogs, for a microchip and make contact with the owner if possible. We will store dead pets at our depot for a short period to give owners the chance to collect the body, if they would like to. If an animal is not claimed, we will arrange for it to be cremated.

What to do if you find an injured animal

If you find an injured wild animal, watch it first to see how badly hurt it is. Then, contact the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999, or take it to a nearby vet or wildlife rehabilitator. If possible, contain the animal before calling. For more advice, visit the RSPCA website.

If you are concerned because you have lost your pet dog, please see our lost and stray dogs page.

Local Plan flats and houseHelp shape the future of Dacorum by having your say on our revised draft Local Plan. The deadline for making comments is 11.59pm on Monday 11 December 2023. Find out more and give your feedback.   ×