Health and safety - investigating workplace accidents

Our Health and Safety team will investigate certain types of workplace accidents. This is to find out what may have caused it and to help prevent a similar accident happening again.

Who can report an accident

Accidents should only be reported by the ‘responsible person' with duties under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR). For more information about RIDDOR and who should report, please visit the Health and Safety Executive website.

Employers and other ‘responsible persons’ (people who have control over employees and work premises), have a duty to report:

  • certain accidents
  • occupational diseases, and
  • dangerous incidents (both fatal and non-fatal).

For a list of the types of incidents you should report, please go to the Health and Safety Executive’s website

How to report an accident

Accidents can be reported online:

Report an accident now

If the incident is serious (for example, there is a fatality), you must report it immediately.

Once you submit the report, it will be sent to the appropriate enforcing authority. This will be either ourselves or the Health and Safety Executive. Find out more about who is responsible.

Page Last Updated: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 10:51 AM