Supporting the Armed Forces
A career in the Armed Forces can significantly affect your daily life as well as the lives of your family members. As a result, we recognise that the Armed Forces community is in need of considerable support. In 2011, we signed the Hertfordshire Community Covenant to demonstrate our commitment to providing our Armed Forces affiliated residents with guidance and support when it is required.
Dacorum Armed Forces Day
Armed Forces Day (AFD) is an opportunity for us to show our gratitude and appreciation to the men and women who make up the armed forces community, from current serving troops to service families, veterans and cadets. Each year on AFD, we provide a range of exciting activities and entertainment in Gadebridge Park, Hemel Hempstead. To find out more, please visit our events page.
- We are committed to providing places to live for members of the Armed Forces community that want to settle locally. As long as an application for housing is made within five years of discharge, past and present Armed Forces personnel with no prior connection to the borough will qualify for our Active Register. If an application is made after five years, the case will be assessed by the housing panel. This also applies to spouses and civil partners leaving service family accommodation following the death of their spouse or partner.
- Additional priority on the register will also be given to Armed Forces personnel and their families if they have urgent housing need. If this is the case, they will receive additional points.
Further information can be found in our Housing Allocations Policy (PDF 1MB).
The Hertfordshire Community Covenant is a commitment from public and private organisations to support the active and retired Armed Forces community living and working in Hertfordshire. This includes raising the profile of the Armed Forces in Hertfordshire and celebrating and honouring the commitment and sacrifices they have made.
As a first point of contact for information, please visit the Veterans' Gateway website.
We've received the bronze award from the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme. The scheme encompasses bronze, silver and gold awards for employer organisations that pledge to support reservists employed by the Council. We've signed up to the Armed Forces Covenant
, which commits us to align our values to demonstrate or advocate support to defence and the armed forces community.
The Royal British Legion
The Royal British Legion is an Armed Forces charity with branches all over the country that meet to provide support and care to servicemen and women and to honour the bravery of the forces. There is a branch in Hemel Hempstead that meets every third Tuesday of the month and one for Berkhamsted and Tring that meets every second Tuesday of the month.
For young people looking for fun and adventure with a military theme, there are two Army Cadet Force detachments in Hemel Hempstead and Berkhamsted.
Relate is a registered charity that provides relationship support in the UK. The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund has selected it to provide relationship support for RAF personnel, their partners and families.
Founded in 1883, Armed Forces charity SSAFA offers practical, emotional and financial support for serving personnel, veterans and their families. Also eligible for assistance are reservists and anyone who has completed national service.
All SSAFA caseworkers are trained volunteers who visit families in their homes. If you are in need of assistance, you can contact the Dacorum Division, which is one of five SSAFA divisions in Hertfordshire.
The SSAFA is also always looking for new volunteers (you do not have to have served in the Armed Forces to volunteer). Please get in touch using the contact details below:
- Combat Stress and PTSD Resolution are both charities committed to providing support to those in the Armed Forces community suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), depression or anxiety.
Armed Forces discounts
- The Hertfordshire Heroes website has a list of discounts available to the Armed Forces community.
- Rewards For Forces has a selection of online and in-store discounts for members of the Armed Forces and their partners. Registration is free of charge.
- The Defence Discount Service is the official Ministry of Defence discount service. It offers a membership card that Armed Forces personnel can use online or take into selected high street shops/restaurants to get a discount.